First Steps in Starting a Cleanse
Cleansing the body may look very different for different people. However, before you begin any cleanse, the first thing you want to focus on is making sure that the channels of evacuation are functioning well. It is important to know that when you are starting a cleanse, you will be stirring up toxins from the cells and you want to make sure there is a clear exit path. What goes in must come out. Experts say that we should have as many bowel movements as times we eat in a day. Most of the time that is not the case.
Here are some strategies that you can try to get your system flowing.
1. Increase Fiber Intake; Fiber is found in plant base food. It is the bark of the plant called cellulose that the body can’t break down. The fiber makes up the bulk and allows things to move.
How to get more fiber:
- Start the day with a green smoothie (2 fruit and add a handful of spinach, kale or other lettuce). You may even add a couple of ground flax seed to the mix.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- If you can tolerate legumes, lentils are the easiest to digest and full of goodness. Lentil hummus makes a great a spread. Packed with good fiber.
2. Stimulate Peristalsis: The acid from the stomach is what stimulates the small intestine to start contracting to move the food along. This action is called peristalsis. Our eating habits are what interferes with this action to take place. So here are some strategies you can take.
Increase stomach acid:
- Start the day with a warm glass of water with juice of ½ lemon. This will flush your stomach and kick start your digestive system.
- Have 1-2 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar straight or diluted in water 30 minutes before a meal. This will stimulate digestion.
- Reduce your portion size. Eating until you are ¾ full. This will facilitate digestion and assuring that the chime is at the right acidic level to support the next steps in digestion to take place.
3. Replenish the terrain: There is a whole universe of micro organism that live in the gut. Their function is to help us digest foods, produce essential vitamins for us such as vitamin K and give bulk to our stool. A lifetime of digestive abuse with poor eating habits and use of anti-biotics change the terrain causing more of a war zone. Replenishing the gut with the good pro-biotics is essential. When you find the right probiotic, you will see immediate results.
- Choose a probiotic supplement for greater results.
- Try some kefir
- Add a little sauerkraut to your dinner
If you are looking for more personalized coaching, I would be happy to guide you to success.
I wish you love and happiness. Know that you are already whole and complete with nothing missing.